Why Should You Create and Use Videos for Your eCommerce Store?
Why Should You Use Videos as an eCommerce Business?
Here are a few quick facts:
- 232 million people in the U.S. watch online videos every day.
- Merely mentioning the word 'video' in an email subject line, the click-through rate increased by 13%.
- Your engagement will increase by 33% on Facebook.
- Nearly 50% of all video is viewed on a mobile device.
- Internet video traffic will account for 95% of all consumer Internet traffic
- Videos up to 2 minutes long get the most engagement.
Most people's attention span on social media is less than that of a goldfish. I don't see it getting better anytime soon! Your eCommerce business is just as viable to include videos as anyone else.
You can immediately get a visual, personal connection with your audience when posting a video.
Here is what this article covers:
- How do you know what type of videos are the best?
- Should you use a proper CAMERA or PHONE?
- Focus on AUDIO and LIGHTING.
- Do you need to EDIT your videos?
- Script your videos
- Where is your Head? Look up!
- Location, Location, Location!
- Equipment Recommendations
- Video Creation Resources
- Facebook Live Streaming Tools
- Chrome Screen Recording Extensions
- Video Editing Software
- Online Video Editing Software
- Mobile & Web Video Editing Apps
- Screen Recording Chrome Extensions
Tip #1: How do you know what type of videos are the best?
Recording a 'live' video is still the best because you create an interactive personal experience with your audience. In addition, your audience gets to know YOU unedited!
When you're pressed for time or want a refined version it's still ok to not go 'LIVE'. You can pre-record your videos, edit them (or maybe not) and still post them as if you did go live.
No video? You can use video software to collate your photos into a video.
5 TYPES OF PRODUCT VIDEOS
- The 'how-to' video
- The 'product in use' video
- The 'close up' video
- The 'installation' video
- The 'unboxing' video
- The 'story' video
- The 'thank you' video
Tip #2: Should you use a proper CAMERA or PHONE?
Invest in QUALITY equipment either way!
Your phone is the most convenient option, especially if you have a recent edition.
Make sure your options in your camera settings are set to original. Otherwise, your camera will change the photos to smaller versions and resolution.
If you have the resources, I recommend paying a bit more to get:
- A decent phone or camera.
- A tripod to keep your videos stable.
- A good microphone and lights (more on that below).
A few hundred dollars extra can mean the difference between an amateur-looking video and something that looks professional, crisp, and clean.
When in doubt, invest in an excellent camera.
Tip #3. Focus on AUDIO and LIGHTING.
If nothing else, invest in a good microphone and (if you're shooting indoors) some good lights. While the visual quality of smartphone cameras is pretty good these days, the audio is lacking. Also, lighting is the big difference between poor quality and great quality.
A simple Lavalier mic for less than $39 goes a long way to improve the audio of your smartphone or iPhone.
For lighting, here's my first setup that cost no more than $60 or a bit more:
- Two photography light stands (or three if you want to kill the shadow behind you).
- Two (or three) clamp lights from your local hardware store.
- Two (or three) daylight bulbs.
- And you might need some extension cords to plug them in. Set everything up with a solid color wall behind you and start filming! The lights should look like this:
I have upgraded my set up since then and the cost is still not prohibitive.
- 2 Neewer photography lights with dimmers with stands
- 1080 Logitech computer camera
- RODE microphone
- Mobile Tripod Stand
- Tripod Holder for iPads/tablets
- Tripod Holder for iPhone/mobile phone
- Flexible Mini Tripod from iOgrapher (THE BEST)
Tip #4: Do you need to EDIT your videos?
Did you know? 65% or more of videos are consumed on Mobile devices.
Record your videos on your phone as a vertical video, or better, make the video square.
If you record your videos on any other equipment, create the size and format suited to your audience and media.
With WAVE you can create photo videos with text in any shape or size!
Use KAPWING for Android. It's free unless you want to remove the logo.
Tip #5: SCRIPT your videos
If you skip this step, you'll find yourself editing more than you need to, releasing a video longer than it should be, and probably losing your audience along the way.
You need a script even if you are recording any of the product-related videos I mentioned before. Remember, your video will be a story, but keep it short and concise.
Start writing your script like you would begin a blog post — with an outline. List out your key points and order them logically.
Please do not write it all out because you have to sound natural and not scripted. But this will keep your video logical and on task.
Once you have a script, create the blog post to add more value to your video. This step creates AMAZING SEO for you as well.
Tip #6: Where is your HEAD? Look up!
When recording, most people look at their faces. Look at the camera eye, and you will look right at your audience.
Try to get your face in the center of the view while recording. Notice the space above your head! VALUABLE real estate for your face.
When shooting a product or any other video, ensure your product is centered and not cut off. It is easier to have more space on the sides. You can create other sizes and formats for your videos.
My personal advice for the ladies: make sure the camera is set a wee bit higher than your face so you stretch your neck.
Tip #7: Location, Location, Location!
Make sure that your surroundings have a lot of light.
Light from the front and sides is the best.
- Product presentation - make your product the focus, so light from the top and sides. Make sure your lens is focused on the product so that the product is in focus.
- Presentation - When standing, make sure you don't have too much space above your head.
- Do test videos and give particular attention to the surroundings.
- Don't blend into your background. Make sure your product or you stand out!
1. Equipment Recommendations
- Smartphone Lav mic: On Amazon - https://amzn.to/2OLfjgf
- Video lighting equipment list
- 2 Neewer photography lights with dimmers with stands - https://amzn.to/38iT3lI
- More equipment recommendations here:
- Mobile Tripod Stand (https://amzn.to/3bsIQox)
- Tripod Holder for iPads/tablets (https://amzn.to/39tGfJw)
- Tripod Holder for iPhone/mobile phone (https://amzn.to/2vkMujU)
- Flexible Mini Tripod (THE BEST) (https://amzn.to/31LfFcb)
2. Video Creation Resources
- Royalty-free stock music
- Wave has great music for their videos.
- Free stock videos
3. Facebook Live Streaming Tools
- Ecamm Live - Good for solo shows: https://www.ecamm.com/mac/ecammlive
- Belive.tv - Good for interviews: https://belive.tv
- Streamyard - https://streamyard.com
4. Chrome Screen Recording Extensions
- Loom (Chrome Extension & Desktop App): https://www.loom.com
- Screencastify (Chrome Extension): https://www.screencastify.com
VIDEO CREATION TOOLS & RESOURCES:
1. Video Editing Software
- Screenflow (Mac Only): http://www.telestream.net/screenflow
ScreenFlow helps marketers create and edit promotional videos. Record your video, and combine with screen recorded content or Keynote & PowerPoint presentations. Add in animations, images, text, a soundtrack, and you've got a polished-looking video that helps sell your product or company.
- Camtasia (Best For PC): https://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html
Your screen recordings don't have to be perfect in a single take. Camtasia's video editor makes it painless to cut out mistakes or patch in new footage. With the editing timeline, you have control over every frame in your video. And if you change your mind, Camtasia will always save your original footage, even if you've cut clips.
2. Online Video Editing Software
- WAVE Video - http://bit.ly/wavevideo2
Wave is a video editor and a video maker. You can upload your recordings and add text, footage, logos, and photos.
I use Wave all the time for my recordings, or I create videos with photos and images.
3. Mobile & Web Video Editing Apps
- Biteable: https://biteable.com Make an awesome, pro-quality video in the time it takes to drink a coffee!
- Quik: https://quik.gopro.com/en/
- Create beautiful videos with just a few taps. Editing has never been this fast—or this fun.
- Magisto: https://www.magisto.com/
- Magisto turns your everyday videos and photos into exciting, memorable movies you'll want to watch again and again. They even have an entire section for business videos.
- Videoshop: http://www.videoshop.net/
- Videoshop is a fast and easy app to personalize your videos and share them with all your friends.
- Animoto: https://animoto.com/
- Turn your photos and video clips into video slideshows, quickly and easily.
- Videolicious: https://videolicious.com/
- Millions of employees at leading media companies and brands use Videolicious to quickly and easily create their own business-quality videos.
- Adobe Spark Video: https://spark.adobe.com/about/video
- Create compelling animated videos - in minutes.
- RenderForest: http://bit.ly/2bC3nMM
- Free Tools that help you to create professional intros, animations, slideshows and music visualizations in minutes.
- RotateNFlip (iOS Only): https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/video-rotate-and-flip/id658564085?mt=8
- Did you accidentally shoot a video sideways? Want to flip your video upside down or left to right? Use this app to rotate and flip your video while you watch it. Then export straight to your iPhone's Photos app. Plus, with the included app extension, you can edit your videos right within the Photos app!
4. Screen Recording Chrome Extensions
- Loom (Chrome Extension): (loom.com)
- With one click to record, one click to finish, and a publicly shareable URL automatically copied to your clipboard, Loom is changing desktop communication as we know it by making video easy and fun to use.
- Screencastify (Chrome Extension): https://www.screencastify.com/
- Screencastify is a lightweight Chrome extension that lives in your browser. As long as you use Chrome on a Mac, PC, or Chromebook, you're a click away from high-quality screencasts. Log in automatically with your Google account. Save all your videos to Google Drive and access them anywhere.
Check out more information with 37 Experts on Wave.video blog:
Here is an excerpt of my contribution:
“It’s a simple matter of logic to predict that video marketing and live streaming will be increasingly popular methods of shopping in 2023.
Today, almost everyone has a social media account. With the ascent of TikTok, Instagram, Snapchat, and YouTube, people are becoming more accustomed to short videos of their favorite products or services.
Video marketing and streaming are shaping and evolving eCommerce globally. It will continue to create a smooth customer shopping experience across multiple platforms and provide a more personal touch with each purchase.
Over 50% of consumers will watch a product video before they buy. Brands on Amazon have increased sales by 3.6x with a product video.
Brands are experiencing conversion rates of up to 30% and more through Livestream selling and lower product return rates on their webstores.“
Read more on the Wave.video blog.
I have a bonus coming up in January. I am launching bootcamp: SET UP YOUR SHOPIFY STORE IN 5 DAYS LIVE WITH VERONICA!
Here’s the truth, friend — many people dream of growing a business, but few take action and make it happen.
You’re here because you’re courageous enough to take the next step to build your business.